- 5 free range Eggs
- 300g of feta cheese
- Dried oregano
- A knob of butter
- 400g (14oz) prewashed baby spinach
- 1 x 270g pack of filo pastry
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 200C/ gas 6
- Put a medium frying pan on a medium heat
- Put the pine nuts into frying pan to toast, tossing occasionally so they don't burn
- Crack 5 eggs into a mixing bowl and crumble in the feta
- Add a pinch of pepper, a couple of pinches of dried oregano and a glug of olive oil
- Once the nuts are lightly toasted, add them to the egg mixture and mix well
- Put the empty frying pan back on the heat, add a little olive oil and a knob of butter and pile in half of the spinach, add more as it wilts down
- Meanwhile, take the pastry out of the fridge & lay a large sheet of greaseproof paper on the worktop, rub a little olive oil all over it, then scrunch it up and lay it out flat again.
- Arrange 4 filo pastry sheets in a large rectangle, overlapping at the edges, so they almost cover the paper
- Once the spinach is really nice and dense, take the pan off the heat
- Add the wilted spinach to the egg mixture
- Carefully move the greaseproof paper and filo into the empty frying pan so the edges spill over
- Push it down into the sides of the pan, until it seals bottom of the pastry
- Transfer pastry to ovenproof dish then pour in the egg mixture and spread it out
- Cook for 18 to 20 minutes until golden and crisp
&Enjoy!!! I served mine with salad (a nice dressing and some of the roasted pine nuts did the trick) and wedges....
Looking forward to getting stuck into my our new cook books. Just been given some lovely rhubarb so this will figure in a nice dessert this week.